Audio-visual/Technical Systems Designer
Name: Jim Hultquist
This is your chance to join a global Theatre, AV and Specialist Lighting firm, work on large and significant projects, and help grow our Melbourne team.
Our Melbourne office is seeking a person skilled in A/V and sound systems to join us as an AV/Technical Systems Designer in Melbourne. Salary will be commensurate with your experience and abilities, ranging from $80,000 – $100,000. Benefits include:
- Competitive pay rates and benefits
- Permanent full-time position
- Opportunities for growth
- Work with an international team of designers
Your Skills and Experience
You should have at least five years of experience working with or designing theatre AV equipment systems. You do not need to have previous consulting experience and could be:
- A pro-user of theatre AV systems who is ready to make a switch to consulting.
- An AV designer who has a good knowledge of theatre and theatre AV equipment.
- An AV integrator who has worked on theatre projects.
You should have experience with the following Theatre AV systems:
- Production Sound
- Video Display and Projection
- Paging and background music
- Backstage Coms
- AV Presentation
- Stage Management
- Hearing Augmentation
- Stage Lighting (optional)
- Broadcast (optional)
You should ideally have experience with the following design software:
- AutoCAD (see below)
- BlueBeam (PDF markup)
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Visio
An otherwise well-qualified candidate who does not have AutoCAD experience may be required to attend AutoCAD training. Schuler Shook maintains a CAD and Revit documentation staff who will document most projects, but the AV designer will minimally need enough familiarity with AutoCAD to make minor changes to drawings.
It is important that you can demonstrate:
- An ability to meet with clients, listen well, and create solutions as a team.
- Excellent time management and writing skills.
- An ability to multitask and be a self-starter.
- That you value and promote independent thinking, close collaboration, and a willingness to learn.
Your New Role
Typical project requirements
- Design and document AV systems for tender
- Attend project meetings as required, both in-house and outside the office, and participate in discussions. These meetings will frequently require out of town travel.
- Collaborate with other Schuler Shook consultants and design colleagues (architects, acousticians, etc.) as needed.
- Work with drafting team to prepare drawings and details.
- Prepare specifications for AV systems.
- Prepare and participate in site testing and commissioning.
- Review manufacturer’s shop drawings and other submittals.
- Participate in job site visits and answer RFIs from contractors.
The Melbourne office is a collaborative effort including Theatre Planning, AV and Lighting. You may be needed to work across disciplines on occasion depending o the total workload of the office.
Make a different in a growing team that is part of an established company where everyone’s input is welcomed. Our office is in Richmond and easily commutable via public transport. If you think you have what it takes to be successful in this role, then we can’t wait to hear from you!!
Please apply by emailing your resume and cover letter to Jim Hultquist at email@example.com.