Dancenorth – Venue & Technical Coordinator
Name: Eloise Grace
Phone: 07 4772 2549
Venue and Technical Coordinator
Production and Operations Manager, Dancenorth
Casual Production Staff, Contractors, Suppliers
PURPOSE OF ROLE
Reporting to the Production and Operations Manager, the Venue and Technical Coordinator is responsible for coordinating all aspects of the School of Arts building of which Dancenorth is the primary tenant. The Venue and Technical Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating venue hires while providing production support for all aspects of Dancenorth’s activities which is primarily the development of new works with the full time professional ensemble and supporting the work of the Community Experience team.
The Venue and Technical Coordinator role is crucial to Dancenorth’s ability to deliver a demanding schedule of programming, and will have a close working relationship with; the Production and Operations Manager, the Office and Administration Coordinator, full time and contracted creative and production staff, and, maintenance and production contractors and suppliers. The position will also involve liaising with all members of the Dancenorth team to ensure the smooth running of all operational aspects of the Company’s activities.
The Venue and Technical Coordinator has responsibility for:
- Liaison with Venue Hirers on all aspects of hire events from enquiry to event completion.
- Coordination of technical requirements, equipment, sheduling and staff rostering.
- Supervision of venue hires including operation of Lighting/Sound/AV and coordination of staging elements where required.
- Liaison with the Office and Administration Coordinator on FOH and Bar operations, including stock rotation, inventory upkeep, staff training and rostering.
- Providing technical support for all Dancenorth activities in the School of Arts building and offsite, including installion and operation of lighting, sound, AV and rigging equipment; assistance with set alterations; basic IT support as required; working with visiting artists inluding sound, lighting and set designers to provide technical support the development and presentation of works in Townsville. It may be necessary to be included in the company’s touring party from time to time.
- Coordination of ongoing and incidental building maintenance and liaison with contractors as required, including cleaners and Townsville City Council.
- Upkeep of venue production equipment stock, including regular preventative maintenance, and facilitate repairs where required.
- In conjunction with the Production and Operations Manager, implementing, maintaining and updating Work Health and Safety procedures, including inducting visiting artists, contractors and hirers, in order to maintain a safe working environment at all times.
- Procuring, booking and supervising casual crew as required, including support and mentorship of upcoming technicians and commitment to assistance with ongoing upskilling of local crew.
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of order and organisation of tools, show sets, costumes, equipment and all other items housed within the venue to retain impeccable house keeping.
- Assisting the Production and Operations Manager as required in preparing for upcoming seasons and tours including preparing show kits, arranging hires and freight, receiving deliveries and interpreting technical specifications, as well as general collaboration and consultation on technical details of all Dancenorth Productions.
- Project management as required to share competing workloads with the Production and Operations Manager, to assist delivery of overlapping or tight programming schedules.
- Monitoring and assisting coordination of the Company vehicle use and maintenance.
- Maintain and improve on current operational procedures while respecting the restrictions of occupying an historical building.
- Working within operational budgets and organisational financial processes at all times.
The position has the following requirements:
- After hours and weekend work
- Physical labour
- Potential requirement to travel nationally and internationally
REQUIRED SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
The below selection criteria outlines the core capabilities required for the position.
- Relevant industry experience, and/or a degree in Theatre Technical Production or equivalent
- Drivers Licence
- EWPA Yellow Card
- Electrical Test and Tag Certification
- Current Provide First Aid Certificate
- Responsible Service of Alcohol Certifiation
- High Risk Work Licence – Rigging (Beginner or Intermediate)
- Fire Warden Certification
- Responsible Manager of a Licened Venue
- Thorough working knowledge of and experience in applying advanced technical production skills within a theatrical environment
- Experience in venue hire client liaison and/or supervision, including providing assistance to hirers with limited techincal vocabulary in order to realise their production elements successfully
- Experience working with small/independent arts companies and/or venues
- Demonstrated delivery of exceptional customer service
- Experience in personnel supervision and working with a wide range of people
- Previous involvement with community organisations
- Previous venue operations coordination experience
Behavioural competencies/Personal Attributes
- Quick learner with initiative to self teach operation of a range of available technical equipment (eg sound desk, lighting console and vision mixer)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, adaptable to suit a range of audiences
- Ability to work in a small team, as well as autonomously achieve set tasks to meet deadlines
- Maintain a high level of attention to detail and follow through in all aspects of work
- Excellent time management and organisation, with the ability to multi-task across several projects and conflicting deadlines
- A willingness to adhere to administrative processes to promote efficient business operations
- Ability to work collegiately in a small team environment and collaborate with clarity, grace and good humour
- Competence in the use of computer hardware and software including QLab, MS Office Suite, MacOS, CAD and systems networking
- Practical knowledge of planning, setup and operation of technical systems, both venue installation and temporary site setups; experience with operation of live audio
- Ability to provide technical advice or solutions when delivering production elements both to Dancenorth and external hirers
- Working knowledge of relevant industry-related awards, standards and legislation
- An interest in dance and sensitivity to dancers, artists and the creative process
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Salary $55,000 – $60,000 FTE paid pro-rata + 9.5% superannuation contribution
Position Type 0.8 EFT
Duration Fixed Term, 12 month contract
Location Dancenorth School of Arts Building, Cnr Stanley and Walker Streets Townsville, Queensland
For more details on how to apply, and to view a full application package please visit http://www.dancenorth.com.au/positions-vacant
Enquiries about the position can be directed to:
Felicity Organ-Moore, Production and Operations Manager
(07) 4772 2549 or firstname.lastname@example.org