Head Technician, Lighting
Name: Bec Lawes
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland
HOTA is currently looking for a Head Technician, Lighting, to join our Technical Team.
The Technical Department is an in-house team delivering full facilities for traditional style theatre productions, visual art exhibitions and functions and events across a range of versatile venues. The position is responsible for leading, supervising and developing technical teams to deliver safe and accomplished lighting production for the diverse range of activities that are held in the HOTA Precinct.
The Head Technician leads, mentors and supports fellow team members and is responsible for:
- Providing a key leadership focus for the team of lighting technicians in the areas of operational effectiveness, skills, training, motivation and maintaining the highest quality of service delivery to all internal and external stakeholders including HOTA Producers, Curators, Touring Presenters and Commercial Hirers.
- Overseeing aspects of the planning and delivery of lighting operations for performances, exhibitions and events across the precinct including contributing to the rostering and charging of staff and equipment to meet business demands and SEA requirements.
- Ensuring the safe and effective running of the lighting systems and HOTA operational processes, through compliance with relevant technical policies and procedures and WHS standards and through robust planning and upkeep of relevant procedural and maintenance documentation.
- Being a multi-venue, multi-use cultural precinct, the tasks relating to the role will be varied and range in complexity. All technicians may be required to work in areas outside of their Lighting specialisation.
Skills and Experience:
- Comprehensive skills and experience (minimum 5 years) in the live theatre/entertainment industry with the ability to interpret and create relevant event documents and implement technical production requirements.
- High level of technical expertise, comprehensive skills and experience in all aspects of lighting operation and design.
- Exercise a comprehensive understanding of general venue policies and knowledge and understanding of safe work practices and Workplace Health & Safety as applicable to this position.
- Demonstrated high level supervisory skills with great communication, team building, and interpersonal skills.
- Blue Card (Working with Children)
- Competent testing and tagging to AS/NZS 3760
- Competent in the safe operation of EWP’s (scissor lifts and vertical lifts)
- Occupational Health and Safety demonstrated ability
- Competent on `in-house’ equipment relevant to the position
- Vectorworks or CAD drawing capabilities
To view the full position description, visit the HOTA website: https://hota.com.au/career-opportunities
If you have any questions in relation to this role please contact Bec Lawes, Technical Operations Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 28 June 2021. To apply for this role please submit a short cover letter (no more than 1 page) which details why you are applying for this role and what you would bring to HOTA, together with an up to date resume.