Subscribe to CX E-News
Location: Sydney or Melbourne
Guardian Australia is part of Guardian News & Media (GNM), publisher of theguardian.com. As a leading global media organisation, we are renowned for our pioneering independent journalism and our award-winning digital products.
We are seeking a multimedia journalist to join our audio and visual team to work on creating video, photo, text and graphics content for our website and social media channels. You’ll collaborate with multimedia editors to take our journalism to new audiences across various social platforms in creative ways.
As a part of a close knit creative team, you’ll be able to develop your multimedia skills and hone your news judgement. Alongside pitching ideas to multimedia editors and creating compelling content for social media, you’ll also get the opportunity to work with and learn from journalists across our newsroom.
In this role you will….
- Pitch and create compelling video and static content for Instagram, Facebook, YouTube Community, TikTok and LinkedIn
- Work with video editors to produce high-quality video reports for onsite and other social channels
- Use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit content accurately and quickly for our website and social media
- Source breaking/reactive news videos from news agencies and social platforms, and work with multimedia team to produce packages
- Collaborate with fellow multimedia journalists and Guardian reporters to script, storyboard and execute ideas
- Create google web stories and write headlines, standfirsts and thumbnails for onsite and social videos
- Ideally, at least one year of experience working in a news environment
- Experience with Figma, Photoshop and After Effects
- An understanding of Australia’s social media, news and podcast landscape, and how audiences consume news video on and off platform
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment whilst managing multiple tasks
- Good writing, communication and interpersonal skills
- A passion for independent journalism and an understanding of our editorial code and values
About working at Guardian Australia…
- Employee assistance program (EAP) to support employee wellbeing
- Hybrid working
- Paid volunteer leave
- Dedicated diversity and inclusion employee groups, action plans (including our Reconciliation Action Plan) and cultural competency training
- Guardian digital subscription
For more information please view the full job description here.
This role is being offered on a full-time, permanent basis, working over a five-day roster with early starts or late finishes, and can be based out of either Sydney or Melbourne.
To apply for this position, please apply online here and upload your résumé (maximum three pages) plus covering letter as one document. In your covering letter please outline your motivation for applying for the role and why you think you are suitable.
Closing date for applications: 26 March 2023
If you have application questions, please email email@example.com
If you require an adjustment to be made during the recruitment process, please email our Diversity and Inclusion Manager, Andi (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make arrangements.
We believe that our role in the Australian media is to give a voice to the most marginalised people in society and value and respect all differences in all people — including people of colour, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from different social classes, people with diverse gender and sexual identities, and people with disabilities (seen and unseen). We believe that these communities must be centred in the work we do, bringing a new perspective and a diversity of thought. We also encourage flexible working and aim to create a work environment where all employees feel respected.