Performing Arts Centre Technician
Name: Mrs Debra Williamson
Location: Hobart, TAS
Empowering girls for their future.
About St Michael’s Collegiate
St Michael’s Collegiate is an outstanding K to 12 Anglican day and boarding school for girls. For over 125 years, young women have been part of an exceptional learning community celebrated for its rich blend of academic excellence, sporting endeavours, creative arts and co-curricular activities. Set in the picturesque city of Hobart, Collegiate provides a world class education in a unique corner of the globe known for its scenic beauty, history and warm sense of community.
About the role
- Immediate start
- Full-time position
We are seeking a suitably qualified Technician to manage and coordinate the technical and creative side of the Performing Arts Centre at St Michael’s Collegiate School.
The Technician will train and provide guidance and support to staff and students in the operations of technical equipment in the PAC, including theatre protocols in general.
The PAC Technician as part of the Expressive Arts Faculty contributes to the following areas of responsibility:
- Venue Bookings( Internal and External) liaising with staff as to suitability, availability and technical requirements
- Budgeting within delegated limits of authority (Productions)
Main Tasks and responsibilities
- Ensure that all productions and faculty events receive appropriate technical support
- Take responsibility for the health and safety of the performance areas, ensuring that health and safety policies are adhered to including the induction of staff (and students where necessary).
- Demonstrate and exercise skills in production management, briefing and management of any preapproved contractors
- Provide technical support to users (internal and external) of the Performing Arts Centre (PAC), Linmor Hall, Café 1892, and other areas of the School and other sites as required from time to time
- Design, rig, programme and operate lighting when required for productions, concerts and other events
- Design and operate sound
- Provide assistance with the set-up, conduct and pack down when required for productions, concerts and other events
- Supervise, design and construction of sets and props for productions
- Edit and operate Audio Visual design
- Liaise with Events and other staff to co-ordinate advance planning/set-up for bookings, attending meetings as necessary
- Be responsible for managing the upkeep of the Performing Arts Centre.
- Ensure all technical areas are secure and minimise the opportunities for theft and damage of property
- Manage the maintenance of the spaces and equipment through comprehensive advance planning
- Maintain records, logs, certificates, warranties and licenses as required
- Make recommendations for the timely purchase of supplies through advance planning
Due to the nature of the role the successful candidate may be required to work flexible hours to suit theatre production and event times, many which will be in the evening.
School Administration Services (SAS) Level 4. Remuneration is in accordance with the St Michael’s Collegiate School (General Staff and Early Learning and Education and Care Staff) Enterprise Agreement 2018.
St Michael’s Collegiate School is an organisation committed to Child Protection and to the implementation of child safe policies and practices.
Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, qualification checks and professional registration checks.
It is conditional of employment that the successful applicant:
- Hold and maintain a current Tasmanian Working With Vulnerable Persons check (RWVP);
- Be authorised to work in Australia;
- Gain a satisfactory nation police clearance; and
- Undertake mandatory child safety training
Applications close by: COB Wednesday 21 July 2021.
Applications must include:
- Application for Employment Form (located on the school website careers.collegiate.tas.edu.au)
- Cover letter
- CV / Resume
- Address the selection criteria
- 2 Professional Referees