Senior Acoustic Consultant
Name: Sally Campbell
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Founded in 1981 by Sir Harold Marshall and Christopher Day in New Zealand, Marshall Day Acoustics has become one of the largest acoustic consultancies in the world with more than 90 acoustic consultants in 13 locations in 5 countries. Widely recognised, the company’s high-level expertise has enabled it to carry out projects in Australia, China, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, the United States and Europe in collaboration with internationally renowned architectural firms.
Some of the major acoustics projects MDA has been involved with include the Paris Philharmonie, the Canton Opera and the new Sverdlovsk Philharmonic Hall in Yekaterinburg, the Lyric Theatre Complex in Hong Kong, Gold Coast Cultural precinct and Melbourne’s Hamer Hall, Qingdao’s Wanda Oriental Movie Metropolis Grand Theatre, Zhuhai Opera House and Philharmonic Hall Les Arts in Gstaad.
As part of the development of the company, MDA is looking for a specialist in room acoustics for its auditorium, theatre, opera and concert hall projects.
The successful applicant will work alongside experts in the Melbourne office and immerse themselves in the corporate culture, the philosophy of the group in terms of room design and concert halls, as well as calculation and modelling tools. The consultant will take part mainly in Australian and Chinese projects as well as projects in other parts of Asia and Europe. This experience will also be enriched through exchanges with New Zealand acousticians, in particular Sir Harold Marshall and Christopher Day, as well as with the consultants in Marshall Day Entertech.
Requirements for the role:
- The consultant will participate in research and development projects in the field. They will publish their work in specialised journals and participate in international conferences.
- There is also scope for the consultant to progress to a management and supervisory position.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
The skills and / or experience required for the job are:
- Hold a Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Science, Architecture or Music
- Experience working as a specialist in room acoustics working on auditorium, theatre, opera and concert hall projects.
- Undertake noise assessments, for example in buildings, to make sure they meet building regulations
- Complete acoustic modelling, with knowledge of how changes in design affect sound levels and quality
- Work with recording studio and broadcast sound equipment
- Support senior staff
- At a senior level, appear in court as an expert witness
- Prepare and produce reports and tenders
- Liaise with clients and local authorities
- Operate independently and under guidance
- Undertake project administration and management
- Carry out surveys and testing
- Use modelling software, including ODEON, SoundPLAN, INSUL, Rhino, CAD and Revit
- Software development skills oriented to signal processing or architecture
- Knowledge of other languages would be an asset
Please send your CV and covering letter to Sally Campbell at email@example.com