Senior Technical Officer (Theatre)
Subscribe to CX E-News
Name: Teey Byrne
Location: Toowoomba, QLD
School of Creative Arts
Building on its strengths as Australia’s leading regional University, UniSQ’s vision is to be renowned for innovation and excellence in education, student experience, research, and engagement. Guided by our core values of respect, integrity and excellence, the University’s Strategic Plan 2021-2025 outlines our commitment to creating and sharing knowledge, transforming lives, and solving the problems that matter to our world.
Our School of Creative Arts is currently needing someone who has strong technical support skills to work with our Performing Arts theatre discipline.
Who you are:
- You will be able to provide high-level support and facilitation of processes relating to creative arts, theatre, art studio and workshop operation. This may involve managing equipment, troubleshooting technical issues, ensuring safety protocols are followed, and managing resource support.
- You will have a ‘can-do’ attitude, with strong administrative and people management skills, and an ability to set appropriate goals, prioritise work and report on outcomes.
- You will have prior experience in an Arts organisation or within higher education/teaching environment.
What you’ll do:
- This position provides support to the Performing Arts theatre discipline, and will provide technical support for the School, theatre studio and general teaching spaces.
- You will be required to act as a point of contact for academic staff technical services enquiries and requirements.
- As a member of the leadership of this dynamic team, you will demonstrate an ability to contribute at a high level to the continuous improvement of service delivery through the implementation and review of processes to support the work area in delivering an effective practical learning experience for students.
What will help you succeed:
- It is essential you hold degree level tertiary qualifications in a relevant Creative Arts discipline with a minimum of two years’ experience as a Theatre Technician, Production Assistant or similar; or extensive experience in a similar technical field, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- An understanding of the arts industry or the higher education sector and universities in general, and expert knowledge of the technical support and facilities that support the delivery of relevant academic programs.
- Substantial technical expertise in the Creative/Performing Arts area with a specialised knowledge of theatre technologies.
- An ability to interpret lighting and stage place/sections to scale, as well as knowledge of industry standard practices for lighting, sound, AV, and staging requirements.
- An ability to work within a team and have strong people skills due to the array of projects and activities that occur within the School of Creative Arts.
- An ability to work outside of normal business hours, including evenings, late nights, and weekend work.
- A willingness to travel to other campuses.
What we offer:
We offer a range of rewarding career, financial and lifestyle benefits including:
- generous superannuation
- flexible working arrangements
- salary sacrifice
- professional development programs
- UniSQ sponsored Fit and Well Corporate Program which includes gym membership
For further information about this role, please contact Mr Terry Byrne, Technical Manager, on 4631 2500 or by email Terry.Byrne@usq.edu.au
The University offers a range of different ways of working and connecting across our physical and virtual spaces to meet the needs of our students, partners and community. We value diversity and strive to foster an inclusive environment that is underpinned by our values and champions, embraces and respects differences.
We support and encourage applications from all diversity groups. With an increasingly diverse workforce, we understand that careers may be placed on hold or limited throughout many life circumstances.
Find out more about UniSQ at www.usq.edu.au
To be considered for this position, candidates will need to have the right to work in Australia.
Reference Number: 0107_03/23
Location: Toowoomba campus
Term: Full-time continuing appointment (36 hrs/week)
Salary: Remuneration range of $97,272 to $105,349 pa (includes salary of $82,190 to $89,015 pa + 17% superannuation + leave loading)
Closes: Wednesday 7 June 2023
At UniSQ we are united by our core values of Respect, Integrity and Excellence, which guide our daily actions and decision-making.
If you know that this role is right for you, please submit your current resume together with a two-page (maximum) statement, outlining your skills and experience relative to ‘Who we’re looking for’ in the position description.