Venue Head Mechanist
Name: Sydney Theatre Company
Phone: (02) 9250 1777
Location: Walsh Bay, Sydney
Sydney Theatre Company (STC) is looking for a Venue Head Mechanist. Since 1978, Sydney Theatre Company has produced work that is – in the words of founding artistic director Richard Wherrett – “grand, vulgar, intelligent, challenging and fun.” A paradox as playful as our city.
In the 21st century, the company is dedicated to producing Australian works of ambition and scale. We create and share stories with artists and audiences that provide opportunities for reflection, revelation and joy. And we share our work widely through regional, national and international touring, partnerships and outreach activities.
Sydney Theatre Company encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with a disability, mature age workers, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTI+) people. For a full copy of the Sydney Theatre Company’s Cultural Representation Pledge, please visit our website: https://www.sydneytheatre.com.au/about/stc-commitments/cultural-representation-pledge
Aside from the information outlined in the Job Description, other relevant details are:
Contract and hours of work
- This position is for an initial two-year fixed term.
- The ordinary hours of work are 38 hours week. However, the nature of working for a theatre company and requirements of this position require a degree of flexibility, and will include overtime work.
- The position is based at the Wharf 4/5 Hickson Road and the Roslyn Packer Theatre, Walsh Bay.
Salary and Entitlements
- The wage will be commensurate with a Full-time Level 7 Award Rate as defined in the STC’s Enterprise Agreement 2020-2022.
- 5 weeks annual leave
- 11% superannuation
- Complimentary tickets to STC productions subject to availability
- Experience in staging in a similar role in a producing theatre company or similar.
- Expert knowledge of staging technology and systems for live performance.
- Extensive demonstrated experience in specifying, installing, and operating complex staging systems including revolves, elevators, tracks, automated, single and double purchase fly systems
- Highly developed interpersonal and negotiation skills, with strong interpersonal sensitivity.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit, a self-starter and an ability to lead a technical team.
- A high level of understanding of Work Health and Safety legislation and procedures as related to the theatre and entertainment industries with proven experience of implementing these requirements in a sympathetic manner.
- Experience in working with Enterprise Agreements.
- Computer skills including Microsoft suite including Word, excel and email.
- An appreciation of the art form of theatre, especially in an Australian context.
The Venue Head Mechanist is responsible for providing technical expertise and support to Sydney Theatre Company in a range of world class theatre venues, projects and events. The role will provide staging advice to Sydney Theatre Company and stakeholders in a range of theatre venues. The role is responsible for delivering on time and within budget by utilising production and organisational resources to plan, implement, and achieve set goals and objectives.
The Venue Head Mechanist is responsible for the supervision of seasonal and casual Staging staff, including fly and automation operators and for the efficient bump-in, run, and bump-out of flying and automation aspects of all Sydney Theatre Company shows. They will assist with planning, costing and implementation of maintenance of the flying and staging system as required by the Staging Manager and Head of Technical Operations, including the recommendations of the purchase and upgrade of flying equipment. The role is responsible for delivering training in the use of the Tait “Nomad” flying console and other Sydney Theatre Company staging systems and equipment and to supervise the day-to-day maintenance and repair of flown or automated aspects of Sydney Theatre Company shows during their season.
The Venue Head Mechanist will be required to perform the role of ‘Head Mechanist’ or ‘Head Flyman’ for shows as required by the Staging Manager and Head of Technical Operations. To achieve this the Venue Head Mechanist will work closely with Production Managers to deliver the staging elements for all assigned company projects using industry best practice. The role is responsible for the on-going maintenance of the staging and venue equipment.
To access this complete job pack via our website: https://www.sydneytheatre.com.au/about/careers. To apply for this position, please send your CV and a cover letter addressing the following selection criteria.
Please send your application to email@example.com
Closing date for applications is 9am Monday 30th May 2022.
*Applicants must be an Australian resident or hold a current, appropriate working visa.