Subscribe to CX E-News
Name: Vicky Hopper
Location: Eveleigh, Sydney NSW
Carriageworks is the largest and most significant contemporary multi-arts centre of its kind in Australia. The Carriageworks program is ambitious, risk-taking and provides significant support to leading Australian and international artists through commissioning and presenting contemporary work. The program is artist-led and emerges from Carriageworks’ commitment to reflecting social and cultural diversity.
- Respect Each Other: Everyone is welcome. Everyone’s voice is important. We learn from each other by listening with empathy and care.
- Share The Journey: Support others to be their best. We act with integrity and trust. We are collectively responsible.
- Be Adventurous: Embrace creativity. We search for courageous ideas and new opportunities.
- Take A Long View: Respect country, prioritise sustainability and nurture new ways of thinking out of old. We lay foundations for generations to come.
Carriageworks has an exciting opportunity for a skilled Technical Manager to join our dynamic team. In this role, you will oversee the technical operations at Carriageworks, offering guidance, expertise, and support. Your responsibilities will encompass ensuring the efficient, safe, and cost-effective utilization of resources and staff in compliance with existing legislation. Reporting to the Director, Events and Production and collaborating closely with artists, co-presenters, and commercial clients, you will play a key role in providing leadership and effective management of the technical delivery process.
The ideal candidate for the position of Technical Manager will possess advanced technical management skills and a diverse range of expertise in complex theatrical techniques, including lighting, audio, and visual systems. Effective communication, creative problem-solving abilities, and a keen attention to detail are essential attributes for success in this role. We are seeking an individual with exceptionally high standards of delivery who can contribute to the continued success and innovation of Carriageworks.
- Plan and manage all aspects of Carriageworks technical operation by developing and maintaining a detailed inventory of all Carriageworks’ rigging, lighting, sound, vision, staging, plant equipment, tools, power distribution and signal distribution infrastructure across the Carriageworks precinct.
- Develop and implement Carriageworks technical operating procedures as they relate to safety, legislation and best practice.
- Provide technical advice and practical support across lighting, audio, vision, staging, and specialised requirements necessary for all program, production and commercial activity.
- Provide technical information as required, and review production plans to ensure their technical feasibility, suitability, and safety.
- Ensure that all technical equipment is maintained in good working order, regularly serviced and that replacement equipment and stock control is well managed.
- Advise producers, production managers, lighting, and sound designers, on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for performances, exhibitions, and events; supervise the implementations of approved technical designs; manage the provision of Carriageworks’ technical and event equipment and plant to both program and commercial productions.
- Capacity to design lighting and technical systems (such as rigging, vision, lighting, and audio systems) for exhibitions, live productions and events and manage the implementation of these designs.
- Plan and manage all aspects of the venue’s technical operation within the technical operations budget.
- Maximise revenue through the provision of staff, services, and equipment to Carriageworks producers and Production Managers and third-party users.
- Lead, roster and develop Carriageworks’ technical team and engender a solution-focused working culture
- Lead the recruitment and training of technical staff.
At Carriageworks, we are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace that mirrors the creativity and dynamism of the arts we champion. If you share our passion for the arts and our commitment to excellence in quality communication, we encourage you to apply and embark on a rewarding journey with us. Join our team and be a driving force behind the future of contemporary art in Australia.
- Proven experience in the management of a Technical Department
- Ability to provide technical support for the delivery of multidisciplinary contemporary arts programs and event programs.
- Strong experience and high level of competency with lighting and sound, AV, IT Systems, staging equipment, rigging systems and theatre machinery.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and work within approved budgets.
- Capacity to provide leadership to technical staff including training and mentoring.
- Experience in the planning, coordination, and execution of small and large productions within the arts industry.
- Experience in the use of Vectorworks or other drawing software.
- Capacity to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Access to complimentary tickets for Carriageworks shows.
- Paid parental leave.
- Strong diversity and inclusion priority.
- Employee discounts through our HR Platform.
- Employee Assistance Program.